Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving is not a holiday here in Haiti, but it is a way of life.

Thanksgiving is not a holiday here in Haiti, but it is a way of life.
I wrote the following entry on turkey day and am importing it here for those of you who didn't get a chance to see it.
Tonight I sat on some concrete in the dark (no electricity) with at least 20 orphans surrounding me, pushing in for the privilege of touch and presence, and I marveled at the fact they were singing worship songs at the top of their lungs. I only had 1 meal today because food is running out, and the kids are constantly telling me they're hungry, but in the midst of lack, there is still laughter and joy and thanksgiving. One little girl kept saying, "Merci Jesus" to everything I said and she meant it.

Then there's little Ketia. Less than 2 months ago this 7 year old weighed less than 25 pounds! Most American children are minimally twice her weight at that age. My fingers easily circle Ketia's upper arms. This summer, Ketia had mumps from head to toe and a month later she was in a body cast covering her from waist to feet. Now I get the privilege of washing Ketia and applying cream to treat her scabies, and after the tears finish, we laugh and play and I can scarcely comprehend that this vibrant gentle kind little girl who grabs my hand any chance she gets- well- to think she was near death so recently- I tell you, my thanksgiving will not be about food, but it will be about God's love for orphans like Ketia.

"I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation whether it be a full stomach or hunger, plenty or want. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. But in any case, it was kind of you to help me in my present difficulty." Philippians 4: 11-14

The children here walk a precariously fine line between life and death every single day. If any of you want to help these orphans out of their distress/hunger/difficulty, please do! (Fastest method is Paypal using melinda@maxnet.co.nz or you can send to: Melinda Nelson, 13866 Dow Lane, Beulah, MI 49617. If you need a tax-deductible receipt, please make cheque out to: The Life Church.)

These children are worthy of our sacrifice - James 1:27 is crying out for attention and adherence- let's show God our thankfulness with more than a cooked turkey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment